Thursday, January 12, 2017

My 2016 Favorites


2016 was a big year for makeup, and so far it looks like 2017 will be even bigger. I feel like the most popular items of the year were liquid lipsticks, y'all know I jumped on that, and highlight. I can't even think about what I did to my face before highlight. Life before liquid lips, well, I lived and breathed MAC. As you can imagine, my makeup collection grew, here are the products I favored throughout the year, even though half the items I received/bought in December.



SKINCARE:
  1. Dr. Jart+ Water Drop Moisturizer - I tried other moisturizers but everything left my skin feeling greasy or it never absorbed.  Water Drop is perfect because its lightweight and comfortable to where I can wear it under makeup while still giving me the moisture I need. I got this sample size bottle, plus two extra, by using my 100 point perks at sephora, once I run out I know I will be buying a full size bottle.
  2. CeraVe Facial Cleanser - I realized I didn't need harsh face wash to help my oily skin, which was only making it worse. I tried this and I don't think I ever want to go back! 
  3. (Honorable Mention) Mario Badescu Aloe, Herb, and Rosewater Facial Spray - I began using this every night and after I put on makeup. I can honestly say that using it made the oiliness of my skin go away. 


Foundation/Primer:
  1. Cover FX Illuminating Primer - I love illuminating primers. The illuminating effect isn't as noticeable as the Becca primer, but this one is definitely more natural and creamy. I liked to pair this with my bb cream. A little goes a long way, but after I'm done with this sample, I don't think I'd purchase a full size. 
  2. Smashbox Primer Oil - I first received a small sample bottle from the Sephora Play! box, I loved it so much I got the full size. I love that it gives my skin more moisture, plus it gives me a natural finish compared to the full matte face I used to rock. 
  3. Maybelline Dream BB Fresh - This will forever be one my favorites, I've been loving it since it was introduced. It's my go-to for light makeup days, or no makeup-makeup days. I seriously cannot get enough, with my luck though, since I'm professing my love for it it will be discontinued next week.
  4. Mac Prolongwear & Maybelline Better Skin - I got matched at Mac to be NW35 which happens to be way too orange on me, but of course I didn't notice until after I bought it and used it a couple times. I actually put this away for a few months. I received the Maybelline foundation from influenster, and I loved it, so I bought a few when I found them clearanced. It was, as I later found out, a bit too grey. I began mixing the two foundation, often with a little Becca liquid opal, and it matched nicely. It had a nice finish, but the work to get it mixed plus trying to get it right is a bit overwhelming. 


Highlight/Contour:
  1. Anastasia Beverly Hills Peach Nectar Illuminator - My first highlighter. Since I don't like the look of blush on my face, this served almost as very light blush as well, which I do like. I think the color is great for my skin tone, plus it didn't have the silvery/white look to it as most illuminators do. Luckily, when I bought this the website had a promotion for it and it came with their highlighting brush, which pairs so well with it.
  2. Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer - I had this put away for awhile while I was using the ABH Contour kit, but soon went back to it. I love that its a powder and so easy to blend. At first I used it only on light makeup days, but now its more of an every day use since I can layer it. Plus, it makes me smell like chocolate.


Eyes/Brows:
  1. Benefit Roller Lash Mascara - I can wear this without curling my lashes first and they still look amazing. Complete magic in a bottle... tube? 
  2. Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel - Some how I never knew this existed but I'm so glad I got this in a Play! box. It makes my brows stay so neatly and it lasts unbelievably long.
  3. NYX Matte Liner & Jordana Cat Eye Liner - Both really great liners, most of the time I get my wings even and straight with the Jordana Liner because it has a finer point brush then, I fill in and go over carefully with the NYX. When I'm feeling brave, I use the NYX liner alone, but that usually ends up with me taking off all my makeup.


Eyeshadow Palettes:
  1. Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bons - Honestly, I bought this because it was cute and smelled good. The colors are pretty nice but I usually end up only doing natural looks with it. Unfortunately, the nicer colors aren't as pigmented or they're very patchy, so they need a little extra work to get them to look good. As you can see in the picture the most used, and my all time favorite shadows, were Cafe Au Lait and Molasses Chip.
  2. Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance - Buying this was pure peer pressure. My two best friends bought it and so I decided I needed it too. I'm happy I did because it's so versatile and pigmented. I didn't think I was going to love it as much as I do. 


Pigments/Singles:
  1. Colourpop Coconut - I eyeballed this for a very long time and decided to get it in a big CP haul. I absolutely love the color, I just wish that CP shadows were easier to work with and you didn't need to apply them with your finger.
  2. MakeupGeek Insomnia Pigment - Compared to Mac Blue Brown pigment, this wins hands down. This is more vibrant and the color shift is more noticeable. I love MUG pigments because they are so cheap for the amount you get, then you only need the smallest amount.
  3. MAC Copper Sparkle - I first got a sample of this at the counter and I never wanted to use anything else, however, their full size is a bit too much product and a little too pricey. I had a friend, whom I'm very thankful for, fill my sample container, so now I'll have it forever.
  4. MakeupGeek Liquid Gold Pigment - I've always wanted a shadow this color, this pigment is amazing, a little messy but thats the only con. 

L-R: Milani Loved, ABH Ashton, JSC Androgyny, Milani Loved, Milani Matterialistic, Jordana Mango Sorbet

Lipstick:
  1. Milani Loved and Gorgeous - Milani's formula is good for a drugstore brand. I ended up buying almost all of their shades but these two are my go-to. Loved is a pink nude, I almost always have this thrown in my purse. Gorgeous was bought because I kept missing JSC Masochist, and when I finally got it I liked this more. The color is a berry pink, it goes will with everything.
  2. Anastasia Beverly Hills Ashton - Perfect peachy nude, everything that I hoped JSC Gemini would be. The formula is very comfortable, not as drying as other liquid lips, but it does happen to come off easily.
  3. Jeffree Star Cosm. Androgyny - This color looks good on everyone, I think, but it also looks completely different. On me is almost a grey toned, brown/nude color. I actually love most of his colors, but for the sake of this post I picked the one thats in my purse the most.
  4. Milani Matterialistic - Part of their first release of their metallic lipsticks. The formula, in my opinion, is so much better than their normal liquid lips. This can last all day, though eating, drinking and a lot of talking, without touchups. The color is amazing, and its not too metallic.
  5. Jordana Mango Sorbet - My summer shade. Their whole line is basically amazing. For $3 at kmart or $5 at walgreens, its completely worth it. Some of the shades are a bit different formula wise, but not something you can actually complain about for their price.

L-R: ABH Sepia, Sephora Gorgeous Red, Soap & Glory Clearvoyant, Sephora Fresh Mango

Lipgloss:
  1. Anastasia Beverly Hills Sepia - The best nude gloss. This is 99% of the time in my purse, actually all of these are. This formula I have found to be the best, not sticky whatsoever, nor greasy, plus they're insanely pigmented.
  2. Sephora Ultra Shine Lip Gel in Gorgeous Red and Fresh Mango - Again, thanks to a sample in the Play! box, I got a few full size in different colors. They are so glossy, not super sticky, but they are definitely thicker than your normal lipgloss. 
  3. Soap & Glory Pillow Plump Lipgloss in Clearvoyant - I've tried multiple lip plumpers and I think this has got to be one of the best. Their normal, not as strong lip plumpers are very good as well. I like this one because it works and its stronger. The only downside is that its not for someone with sensitive lips, as it is very strong and you can feel the effect for a long time.



If you made it this far, then thank you. If you read any of this, thank you too. I didn't expect to make this this long but I just wanted you to know why I liked what I liked. Even though its only two weeks into 2017, my list of favorites has changed a lot. I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did writing it, stay tuned for my next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment