Thursday, January 19, 2017

Play! by Sephora 2016 Monthly Review Pt. 2


I feel like during the last half of the year the boxes definitely improved. In this post will be the last six months on 2016 and my thoughts on the products I received.

July:

  • First Aid Beauty Red Clay Deep Cleanser
  • Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer
  • Ouai Wave Spray
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Primer
  • BeautyBlender Blotterazzi 
  • Nest Citrine
This is around the time that Sephora started doing somewhat customized products for every type of variation, as well as putting the products into a bag instead of a box in box. This box ended up being another "eh" type box for me. I already had the full size TF Bronzer, so that was given away along with the Ouai Spray. The Nest Perfume actually smelled similar to the Atelier Cologne from May. BB Blotterazzi, if used as its intended purpose, is a bit too gimmicky, but its made from the same sponge material that the original BeautyBlender is from so it can also be used to apply makeup. As for the Smashbox Primer, I wanted to love it, but after testing flash photos while using it, I saw that it gives a white cast, so I immediately stopped using it.


August:
  • Urban Decay Perversion Mascara
  • Sephora Eye Pencil in Taupe
  • Caudalie Resveratrol Eye Lifting Balm
  • Clean Reserve in Blonde Rose
  • MUFE Shadow in I544
  • Lancome Energie De Vie Moisturizer
I received the wrong box this month but I didn't actually mind because there wasn't too big of a difference in the products. I didn't use the Eye Lifting Balm, because my eyes don't need to be lifted(just kidding), but mostly because there was little to no product in the tube. Also, I didn't use the perfume because it wasn't my taste at all, and I didn't use the Lancome Moisturizer... because I only just now found out what it was. I expected to love the mascara but it left my lashes too clumpy. I know thats a look some people like, and I don't mind that, but my lashes will basically turn into three big lashes if I don't use something that separates them. I did end up loving the Sephora Eyeliner, because its not too dark and it lasts a good while on my waterline, and I'm just a big fangirl for MUFE shadows, so of course I loved it.


September:
  • Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Overnight Hair Night Cap
  • Ole Henrikson Sheer Transformation Moisturizer
  • Sephora Rouge Shine Lipstick in Love Spell
  • Atelier Cologne Sud Magnolia 
  • Kat Von D Tattoo Liner
  • Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel
This box contained a repeat, KVD liner, which isn't so bad if I liked it more. Sud Magnolia smelled very citrusy still but with a hint of floral. If my hair wasn't long and curly I would have actually tried the Hair Night Cap. I love the Ole Henrikson Moisturizer, I used this every night, I still do when I alternate from my normal skincare routine. I didn't bother with the lipstick because I know its just a tad bit creamy looking, so on me it look ashy and pastel. ABH Clear Brow Gel is HG status now, I've tried dupes of it and nothing is as good is the real thing. Definitely something that I will be purchasing again and again.


October:
  • Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipstick in Drivers Seat
  • Madame C. J. Walker Scent & Shine Coconut Oil
  • Derek Lam 10 Crosby Silent St.
  • Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum
  • The Estee Edit Flash Photo Lipgloss
  • Pharmacy Skin Dew
I was so excited to get the liquid lipstick in this box because I had been wanting to try the formula. Even though I didn't absolutely love the color, I ended up buying a full size in a different shade. I gave away the Night Serum because I knew I wouldn't use it, I tried the Skin Dew once but the smell was too strong and it made my skin too oily. The perfume smelled good but easily forgettable, not something that makes me want to jump and buy it, but it was nice to have a sample of. The last two products I think were completely ridiculous. "A high-tech, high-shine gloss with cool blue micro-pearls to help bring out the white in your smile." Straight from the Sephora site. The whole Estee Edit line seems like a desperate attempt by Estee Lauder to appeal to younger consumers, it seems cool, but the lipgloss ended up being very thick and sticky and the "micro-pearls" did nothing. Coconut oil is amazing, I actually do use this product, only because its coconut oil, however theres a strong scent, seemingly to mask the natural smell of the oil. Theres no actual way to go wrong with coconut oil, until you're charging $27 for 1.7oz, when you can buy the same thing from the grocery/drugstore (and sometimes ulta) for way cheaper for so much more product.


November:
  • Sephora Ultra Shine Lip Gel in Pin Up Pink
  • CoverFX Illuminating Primer
  • Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet
  • Stella McCartney Pop
  • Laura Mercier Caviar Eye Stick in Rose Gold
  • GlamGlow Youthmud Tinglexfoliate
This box was mostly a hit. The only product I didn't not use was the perfume because to me, all I smelled was tomatoes. The lip gel was so amazing to me that I ended up having friends gift them to me for Christmas. It is so shiney and glossy without being too sticky and it lasts so long. I liked the primer because it gave a more natural glow than the Becca one I received in a previous box. The Caudalie Moisturizer was so amazing, I didn't need that much for my face so a little went a long way, but at the end of the day my t-zone had a little extra oil. The Caviar Stick is awesome, I've used it a few times as a base, because once it sets it doesn't budge, but the color itself is beautiful too and can definitely be used alone. The first time I used the Glamglow mask, it left my skin soft and so refreshed. The second time, it tingled too much and almost felt like it burned, I had to wash it off before it dried. It left my skin with little red bumps where it hurt the most.


December:
  • Elizabeth & James Nirvana Bourbon
  • Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Always Red
  • DryBar Detox Dry Shampoo
  • MUFE Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer
  • Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Mascara
  • Urban Decay All Nighter
The mascara ,unfortunately, was too clumpy for me to use and of course I didn't use the dry shampoo and it was given away. I still haven't used the MUFE primer because I feel like it will make my face too matte. The Cream Lip Stain was so great I kept thinking about buying the full size, because the sample was a little bigger than a quarter, so with my big lips it lasted for about 2, maybe three applications. It was so comfortable and I think I still might consider buying the full size for the upcoming spring months. I never knew I could love a perfume so much. Nirvana Bourbon wasn't even a type of perfume I liked, but now I love it, loved it so much I bought it. So I can now smell like Bourbon, and leather forever and ever. I used to always buy DeSlick, the travel size, before they raised the prices, and it wouldn't work that well to keep me not oily, so I deemed it not useful. I stopped using setting sprays for awhile actually until I got this one and I feel like I now know the secret for long lasting makeup. I used the sample size up so fast that for the first time I actually went and bought a full size bottle. 



I know after going through every month that I didn't actually keep or use every product, but for $10, its still worth every penny. Even when its just one out of six that I like, I still think its okay, because there is usually a good amount of product, and if I don't like something I know someone who would. I would have never bought All Nighter or Nirvana Bourbon if it weren't for this, so I'm pretty happy overall. If you have the choice, definitely get on the waitlist for this!! If you read this far, thank you so much! Also, if you receive this box, let me know which were some of your favorite products or favorite months!

No comments:

Post a Comment