Thursday, January 19, 2017

Play! by Sephora: 2016 Monthly Review Pt. 1


Beauty boxes are one of the best ways to test new products without dropping major cash and risking not actually liking it, of course, you could always go into Sephora and ask for a sample of something. My favorite part of monthly subscription boxes is that I get to try out things I never would have thought to or never wanted to.

The difference between boxes is mostly your preference, for example, there are boxes that you can customize more to you and the samples sent out would reflect that, or there are some that are completely random. In the beginning, Play! was a set 6 samples sent to everyone. However, now, there is a few variations per month and it all depends on what you have in your Sephora beauty profile. I, personally, choose Play! over other boxes because it's brands that I know/love.


  January:

  • Tocca Isabel
  • Clinique Chubby Highlight Stick
  • Dr. Brandt Needles No More
  • Dr. Dennis Gross Daily Peel
  • Living Proof Prime Style Extender Spray
  • Sephora Honey Eye Mask
This was my first box after being on the waitlist for about a month. It came in a box in a box, with tons of little crinkled paper. From this box I only used two items, the Sephora Mask and the Clinique Chubby Highlight Stick. The other items did not appeal to me because I wasn't too into that type of skin care, I have too much hair and I'm too sensitive with smells to use just any perfume. The Highlight Stick has been a staple in my minimal makeup looks since receiving it, I actually still have it and use it because it has so much product.


February:
  • Tom Ford Black Orchid
  • Bumble & Bumble PrĂȘt-a-powder 
  • Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes
  • MUFE Rouge Artist N9 Lipstick
  • Lance Drama Liqui-Pencil
  • BareMinerals Pop of Passion Lip Oil-Balm
My second month in and I was already considering cancelling. I wasn't sure if it was completely worth it. The MUFE lipstick seemed like left over from the 2015 birthday gift, my lips are way too pigmented for anything thats supposed to be a "pop of color" and again I couldn't handle the perfume scent. I tried out the dry shampoo but it just ended up giving me dandruff. The only product I used and loved from this box was the Lancome Eyeliner. Its so pigmented and it lasts so long. 


March:
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil
  • Fresh Soy Face Cleanser
  • Replica Beach Walk
  • Murad Invisiblur
  • Sephora Airbrush Sponge
  • Kat Von D Tattoo Liner
I actually really enjoyed this box. I gave away the sponge, because I had recently got a new beautyblender at that time, but it was a full size sponge worth more than the box itself. The perfume smelled amazing, the soy face cleanser didn't do anything for my oily skin but I used it anyways. This gave me the opportunity to finally try the KVD Liner, while I liked it, I prefer a liquid liner with a brush. I was completely obsessed with the Murad Invisiblur, it worked so well and it lasted for a few months. The Primer Oil is the first item that I ended up buying full size shortly after using it. This box also included a little sample container. It was there so you could go in and get color matched at Sephora and get a sample of foundation. Being the shy, introverted person that I am, it got put in a drawer and forgotten about.


April:
  • Derek Lam 10 Crosby 2AM Kiss
  • Milk Sunshine Oil
  • Sunday Riley Good Genes 
  • Sephora Colorful Cheek Ink Gel
  • Nars Satin Lip Pencil
  • Clinique Pep-start Eye Cream
In this box I tried two things and the rest were given away. 2AM Kiss is one of the better perfumes to be sent out in the boxes, my only wish is that it was sent out in the Fall. One of its bigger notes is salted caramel, so as amazing as it was, it didn't go well with Spring. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a product than I was with the Sunshine Oil. I heard Milk was such a good minimal brand and couldn't wait to try it out, but the oil ended up being too thick to use as a skincare product, or anything else for that matter. While I'm sure other products from Milk are great, This ended up straight in the trash.


May:
  • Tarte tarteist Lip Crayon
  • Bite Amuse Bouche in Kimchi
  • Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine
  • Origins Maskimizer, plus two sample masks
  • Briogeo Dont Despair, Repair! Hair Mask
  • Korres Advanced Brightening Sleeping Facial 
For a while I used the Korres Sleeping Mask but the smell eventually got to me and I couldn't use it. The lipstick and the lip pencil ended up working really well together and I loved the formula of them both. I also liked the perfume, but it smelled like I just got different citrus' and dumped the juice on me. The maskimizer seemed pretty gimmicky, to where I only used it with the masks it came with and that was it. Again, I didn't use the hair product.


June:
  • BareMinerals BareSkin Serum Bronzer
  • Bumble & Bumble Don't Blow It 
  • Benefit They're Really Mascara
  • Tarte Tarteguard Sunscreen
  • Becca Backlight Priming Filter
  • Tocca Florence
I think its safe to say that I don't like any Tocca perfumes and I won't use any hair product because my hair is too long and too curly, so I need specific type of products. Other than that, I enjoyed the rest of the box! I almost bought a full size of the Tarteguard, but realized that I could get a better sunscreen, and also the Becca primer, but in the end, it was a little too metallic for my skin. I tried the mascara when it was first released and I know I didn't like it, but my preference in mascaras changed since then and I used that baby up until it was all gone.


Having all twelve months in one post would be a bit too much for one read. So, if you're interested, stay tuned for the next part for the second half of the year! Thank you, as always, for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment